Lets Get Digital!
‘Digital printing’ seems to be the latest buzz word (okay, technically it’s two words), so what’s it all about? What’s so great about it, and what do you need to know about it? Well, the first thing you need to know is that digital printing is most suited to small print runs from one copy to around 500. The other significant advantage is image resolution of high quality digital printing is very close to that of traditional offset printing – so much so that to an untrained eye, it would be difficult to tell the difference.
Of course with any new technology there are benefits and limitations, we have listed points to consider when deciding how to print your next job.
- Shorter turnaround time, allowing you to meet tight deadlines.
- No minimum print runs.
- Environmentally responsible with less waste of paper materials, because you can print only what you need.
- Personalisation. Using information from a database or external file, text and graphics can be changed on each piece. For example, personalised letters can be printed with a different name and address on each letter. It’s also perfect for direct marketing, customer relationship development, postcards and invitations. Digital printing will still support all binding and embellishing techniques such as embossing, matt and gloss celloglazing, foiling etc.
- Stock choices. There is a large variety of speciality and commodity papers stocks available that are suitable for digital printing.
- Consistency, due to not having to balance ink and water during the print run (of traditional offset printing).
- Size. At this stage, most digital printers can only print up to an oversize A3 sheet.
- Paper weight. At this stage, digital printers can only print on stock that is up to 350gsm in weight.
- Unable to print true metallics or PMS colours. (Some Indigo presses have the capability to mix and print specific PMS colours on a 5th colour unit).
For your next print job, ask Mariangela if it’s suitable to go digital, and if so, for a cost comparison. You might be surprised how easy and affordable it is!